Regulations & Requirements
Status of Regulatory Efforts
OSHA Rulemaking - Final Rule Issued
- March 24, 2016 -- OSHA announced the final rule to protect workers from expsoure to respirable crystalline silica. Read the press release, watch the video "Stop Silicosis (2016)" and see the full regulatory text for the construction industry. For an in-depth explanation of the standard, including the risk assessment, economic and technical feasibility analysis and health effects, see the preamble published in the Federal Register.
- December 18, 2015 -- OSHA plans to send the final silica rule to the White House Office of Management and Budget by Christmas
- November 20, 2015 -- OSHA announced in its regulatory agenda that the final rule on silica is expected to be released in February 2016.
- June 17, 2014 -- OSHA announced a 31 day extension for submitting final briefs, arguments, and summations on the proposed standard to Monday, August 18, 2014. Questions about the post-hearing procedures should be sent to to email@example.com. To view all submissions visit www.regulations.gov. Search on docket OSHA-2010-0034.
- April 4, 2014 -- OSHA concluded 14 days of public hearings on the proposed standard. To find comments, testimonry and other materials submitted to the docket visit Regulations.gov and search on OSHA-2010-0034 (Occupational Exposure to Crystalline Silica). Members of the public "who filed a timely written notice of intention to appear prior to the hearings will be able submit additional comments. Evidence and data relevant to the proceeding must be submitted within 45 days of the close of the hearing. Final briefs, arguments, and summations must be submitted 90 days after the close of the hearing." See the OSHA Fact Sheet "OSHA's Proposed Crystalline Silica Rule: How You Can Participate" or visit https://www.osha.gov/silica/ to learn more.
- January 24, 2014 -- OSHA extends comment period on proposed silica rule for an additional 15 days to February 11, 2014. This extension came in response to "concerns raised about possible public confusion due to an error on www.regulations.gov." Public hearings on the proposed rule are scheduled to begin on March 18, 2014.
- January 8, 2014 -- OSHA will hold live Web chat on its proposed silica rule from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday, January 14, 2014. visit http://www.osha.gov/silica/webchat.html to participate.
- October 25, 2013 -- OSHA extends comment period on proposed silica rule by 47 days to provided additional time for public input.
- September 27, 2013 -- Construction Industry Safety Coalition, which represents several construction trade associations and their members, submitted a request to OSHA to extend the comment period 90-days to March 11, 2014.
- September, 2013 -- OSHA Presentation: "Occupational Exposure to Respirable Silica"; an overview of the proposed standard for the small business roundtable.
- September 12, 2013 --Federal Register Notice: Occupational Exposure to Respirable Crystalline Silica