Know the Hazard
- Assign an individual to control and monitor for silica on the job, such as a competent person – someone knowledgeable of applicable standards, is capable of identifying workplace hazards relating to the specific operation, and has the authority to correct them.
- Use vacuums, water, substitutes, or different work practices to reduce or eliminate the dust.
- Provide workers with respiratory protection when other controls are not enough, which are properly fitted and appropriate for the exposure.
- Use a substitute material instead of sand when abrasive blasting. For a list of substitutes, click here.
- Create a plan for working safely with silica. The “Create-A-Plan” section of this website walks users through simple steps to identify a silica hazards, ways to control the dust, and actions to work safely with silica.